Jobs + Internships
The Career Development Center offers resources and support for your internship and job search! Success requires your active preparation, participation, and persistence. You don’t need to know exactly what you want to do in order to get started. Each step you take will bring you one step closer.
|Section: Prepare for the Search||Section: Find Opportunities|
Your goal is to present your strengths to employers — in print and in person. Below are key elements of a search that will help you reach your goal and increase your confidence in the process.
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals, faculty, mentors, family and friends about majors and occupations to learn about the realities of careers. Use the Alumni feature on LinkedIn to reach out to those in professionals you aspire to enter and request a 20 minute coffee chat where you ask for advice.
- Explore ePACK, NC State’s on-line job posting system. See what opportunities are available that interest you. Keep your proﬁle current and upload a new resume each semester.
- Talk with professionals in the Career Development Center for coaching, advice and guidance. Make an appointment on ePack or come to Drop Ins M-F 11 am-2 pm in 2100 Pullen Hall.
- Take advantage of opportunities to develop skills (such as leadership) through activities on and off campus.
- Create and/or update a resume, cover letter and LinkedIn Proﬁle. Document all of your accomplishments. Reﬂect on how each experience has shaped you and your future goals.
Check out the Career Guide the pages are listed for reference.
|Resumes||pages 16 through 29|
|Cover Letters||pages 34 & 35|
|Thank you Letters||page 36|
|List of References||page 38|
|Other Documents||Various (p. ) coming soon|
|Career Fair Prep||page 45|
|Interviews||pages 39 and 42|
|Interview Attire||page 42|
|47 through 49|
|Drop-in hours||15 min. meeting — Monday-Friday, 11am-2pm|
|Appointments||30 min. meeting — schedule in ePACK or call 919.515.2396|
|LAUNCH Series||Professional development series led by Career Ambassadors [ LAUNCH Page ]
Launch Videos ( unityID and password required )
Here you’ll gain insight into strategies for starting your internship + job search, and resources for finding great employment opportunities! BEFORE you review the resources on this web page, be sure to complete the 5 Simple Steps to Starting Your Search.
|*Approved by the Career Development Center. All other websites are not verified by the CDC. All other websites are optional resources that students can review, but utilize at their own risk.|
|CareerShift.com, accessible through ePack, here you can search and store job listings from all job boards & company job postings. Get in-depth information about companies, including contact information!*|
|Experience.com, search for internships & entry-level jobs. Find resources on résumés, cover letters, interviewing, and the site offers a Grad School Guide!|
|LookSharp.com, search for internships & entry-level jobs. See top companies, new companies, or search by location or industry. Industry & Job Seeker Guides and a Career Blog are also on the website!|
|Internships.com, the world’s largest internship market place with 170,000+internship positions available at more than 100,000 companies, across all 50 states; in-person & virtual internships available.|
|GlassDoor.com, search for jobs, read company reviews, find information about interview questions asked by certain employers, and review the average salaries paid by certain employers!|
|Additional Internship & Job Search Websites
The following websites are not verified by the Career Development Center (CDC), but are optional resources that students can review for opportunities. Students utilize these websites at their own risk. *Indicates websites that are verified and approved by the CDC.
|Idealist.org, for positions that allow you to contribute to making the world a better place.||Dice.com, for positions in the field of technology.|
|Coolworks.com, for positions in great, unique locations across the U.S.||TheGreenJobBank.com, for “green” jobs such as solar or wind energy, environment & non-profits.|
|USAJobs.gov, for positions with the Federal Government.||HealthCareJobsite.com, for positions in the field of healthcare.|
|TalentZoo.com, for positions in advertising, marketing, digital & social media & public relations||Krop.com, a creativity industry job board and portfolio-hosting website.|
|GlobalExperiences.com, for international internships.||GoinGlobal.com, find country-specific employment info. & position opportunities around the world.*|
|African American||American Indian/Native American||Asian|
|Hispanic/Latino||Individuals with Disabilities||GLBT|
If you are a student, faculty, staff, or community member and are aware of career resources that would be valuable to our diverse student population, please feel free to contact the Career Development Center at firstname.lastname@example.org with your recommendation
- View the Career Guide in its entirety! Find step-by-step help with the search including sample resumes, interviewing tips etc.
- Create your ePack account & familiarize yourself with the online portal, and all of it’s capabilities.
- Have your résumé/CV, cover letter(s) & reference page reviewed by a career staff member.
- Create a developed LinkedIn page for a professional online presence to begin networking & have it reviewed by a career staff member, if needed.
- Participate in a mock interview with a career counselor or attend a mock interview d